Hi Juliet,

Juliet Hannah schrieb:

I should have emphasized, I do not intend to categorize -- mainly
because of all the discussions I have seen on R-help arguing against
this.

Sorry that we all jumped on this ;-)

I just thought it would be problematic to include the variable by
itself. Take other variables, such as a genotype or BMI. If we measure
this variable the next day, it would be the same. However, a hormone's
level would not be the same. I thought this error must be accounted
for somehow.

You are quite correct that fluctuating hormone levels are a problem (although, strictly speaking, measuring BMI and even genotyping will not yield exactly the same results the next day, measurement error is always present). And there may be methods dealing with this, but I don't know of any.

If you have any idea about the variability of your hormone, you could always take your data, perturb the hormone levels and run the analysis again to get a feeling for the stability of your results. This is quite ad hoc, but if I were the reviewer, a perturbation analysis like this would greatly reassure me. However, I recently worked with hormones and had exactly your problem, and we couldn't find any published data on day-to-day variability, so this was not an option - we finally went ahead and simply plugged the measurements into R.

Good luck!
Stephan

Thanks again!

Regards,