On 08/03/2009 10:49 AM, hadley wickham wrote:
More seriously : I don't think relative numbers of package downloads can
be interpreted in any reasonable way, because reasons for package
download have a very wide range from curiosity ("what's this ?"), fun
(think "fortunes"...), to vital need tthink lme4 if/when a consensus on
denominator DFs can be reached :-)...). What can you infer in good faith
from such a mess ?

So when we have messy data with measurement error, we should just give
up?  Doesn't sound very statistical! ;)

I think the situation is worse than messy. If a client comes in with data that doesn't address the question they're interested in, I think they are better served to be told that, than to be given an answer that is not actually valid. They should also be told how to design a study that actually does address their question.

You (and others) have mentioned Google Analytics as a possible way to address the quality of data; that's helpful. But analyzing bad data will just give bad conclusions.

Duncan Murdoch