Thanks to Peter, David, and Michael! After having corrected the coding error, the p values converge to particular value, not necessarily zero. The whole story is, 634 respondents in 6 different areas marked their answer on a 7-step Likert scale (very bad, bad, ..., very good -- later recoded to 5 scale levels). The statistical question now is, do the answer's distributions (amount of goods, bads etc.) in either area differ from the "mean" answer-distribution calculated with summing up all goods, bads, etc. Anyway an omnibus chi square would not answer my question, and due to spurious significances I'd rather go back to my chi square book ;-) (for the interested, see http://sozmod.eawag.ch/files/file.Robj for the entire table).

Thanks for your help

Sören