On Mar 16, 2009, at 4:26 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

"DW" == David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>
   on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 07:32:09 -0400 writes:

   DW> It's a 404 message. Try a repository that does have
   DW> it. The CMU repository has a copy but the one you picked
   DW> does not seem to have one at the moment. Maybe there was
   DW> a run on the British bit and the bit banks are a wee
   DW> short?

   DW> http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/windows/contrib/2.8/

   DW> -- David Winsemius

   DW> On Mar 15, 2009, at 6:45 AM, Emma Stone wrote:

http://cran.uk.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.8/Matrix_0.999375-21.zip'

cannot open: HTTP status was '404 Not Found'

"Further" (well, maybe the reason for the whole thread):
Matrix has recently been upgraded, so the above URL indeed
should no longer exist, but rather the one where you replace
"-21" by
"-22"

Which was not on that repository, either, at the time the uestion was posed. I did look. I assumed that Emma Would be able to find the -22 version on the CMU server. It was the only Matrix package that was there.

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories