I am trying to use the plot() function in R but can't seem to generate any
plots.  I am running R version 2.7.1 on a server machine to which I am
remotely connected on a Linux platform.

I typed
> plot(trees$volume)
as a test and got back the ">" prompt with no plot in my current window or
in any other window.

I read in another post on this list about opening a graphics device with
x11().  I tried that and got an ERROR message:
Error in X11....
   unable to start device X11
In x11() : unable to open connection to X11 display ' '.

Please let me know what I should do.

Thanks for your help.
Satindra.