PhilippeR wrote:
Dear readers,
I would like to install a local binary package (.tar file) on a Mac (OSX
10.5.6) with R 2.8.0...

How did the package get created? .tar is not an extension used by R. (Source packages are .tar.gz on all platforms, binary packages are .tgz on Mac OS.)

Duncan Murdoch
I tried :

mypkgdir = "/Users/philippesaner/Desktop/Rpkgs"

install.packages("R2WinBUGS_2.1-12.tar", destdir = mypkgdir, lib =
"/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library", repos=NULL)

and get the following error message:

tar (child): R2WinBUGS_2.1-12.tar: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
Fehler in sprintf(gettext(fmt, domain = domain), ...) : Argument fehlt ohne Standard

Can anyone suggest what I am doing wrong?
Thanks a lot for help,
Philippe