This might not be particularly elegant, but if you put your initial
plot() outside of the loop and then use the loop to place your points,
you might get what you want.  If others have better solutions, I'd be
interested as well.  Note that if you take this approach, you might want
to specify xaxt="n" and yaxt="n" and draw your own axes.

plot(NA,NA,xlim=c(-30,100), ylim=c(-30,90), ...);

for(i in 1:query) {

  points(..);

  #count increments

}