Hi,
I am a biologist (relatively new to R) analyzing data which we predict to fit a power function. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to model piecewise functions in R, where across a range of values (0-x) the data is modeled as a power function, and across another range (x-inf) it is a linear function. This would be predicted by one of our hypotheses, and we would like to find the AICs and weights for a piecewise function as described, compared with a power function across the entire range.

I have looked into the polySpline function, however it appears to use only polynomials, instead of the nls models I have been using. Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

Cheers,
-Joe Waddell