On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Tsjerk Wassenaar wrote:

Hi,

Have a look at:

?rainbow
?rgb
?heatmap

Furthermore, the packages colorspace, ggplot, plotrix, and RColorBrewer have useful tools for this.

For the ides behind the palettes in colorspace, see
  Achim Zeileis, Kurt Hornik, and Paul Murrell (2009).
  Escaping RGBland: Selecting Colors for Statistical Graphics.
  Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Forthcoming.
  doi:10.1016/j.csda.2008.11.033
  Preprint:
http://statmath.wu-wien.ac.at/~zeileis/papers/Zeileis+Hornik+Murrell-2008.pdf

hth,

In my opinion this would've likely popped up with just a little effort
of searching. In fact, the help of grey() (?grey) already gives
pointers to the other color functions. Please show that you at least
have tried to find answers before posting questions on a user list.

Tsjerk