Patrick Burns a écrit :
Patrick Giraudoux wrote:
Bert Gunter a écrit :
Based on a simple scatterplot of pourcma vs transat, a 4 parameter logistic looks like wild overfitting, and that may be the source of your problems.
Given the huge scatter, a straight line is about as much as would seem
sensible. I think this falls into the "Why ever would you want to do such a
thing?" category.

-- Bert

Right, well, the general idea was just to show that the "straight line" was the best model indeed (in the other data sets, with model comparison, the logistic one was clearly shown to be the best... ). Can the fact that convergence cannot be obtained be an acceptable and sufficient reason to select the null model (the straight line) ?

It is my experience that convergence problems are
often encountered when the model makes little sense.
I'm not so sure that non-convergence on its own is
a good reason to reject  the model.  That is, to answer
your specific question, I think it is acceptable but not
sufficient.

Patrick Burns
patr...@burns-stat.com
+44 (0)20 8525 0696
http://www.burns-stat.com
(home of "The R Inferno" and "A Guide for the Unwilling S User")

OK. Thanks for this opinion. Actually I was sharing it intuitively but facing such situation for the first time, was quite unconfortable to make a decision (and still I am). We are touching epistemology... and maybe a bit far from purely technical thus from the R list issues.

Tanks again, anyway,

Patrick