I noticed taht R cannot understand certain Fortran real constant formats. For
instance:

 c14    <- as.double( 7.785205408500864D-02)
Error: unexpected symbol in " c14    <- as.double( 7.785205408500864D"

The above "D" is used in Fortran language to indicate the memory starage mode.
That is for instructing Fortran compiler
to store such a REAL constant in  DOUBLE PRECISION... am I right ?
Since R cannot undestand numerical conatant post-fixed by the letter "D", I
wonder how I can instruct R interpreter to
store such a numerical constant reserving as muh memory as necessary so as to
accommodate a double precision number.

I noticed R accepts the folllowing syntax but I do not know if i have achieved
my goal thsi way:

>  c14    <- as.double( 7.785205408500864E-02)
> typeof(c4)
[1] "double"

My questions are: what is the best precision I can get with R when dealing with
real number ?
Is R "double" type equvalent to Fortran DOUBLE PRECISION  for internal number
representation ?

Thank you very much.
Maura

tutti i telefonini TIM!