Al,

Is there any "ID" index for the pairs? For example, if the first pair can be
labeled "a", and second pair labeled "b" etc., then you can add an index
column or you may already have such a column in your list. Then run
aggregate(your.data.column, by=index.column, FUN=mean). Or you can just add
an extra index column anyway rep(1:number of the rows/2, each=2). Hope this
helps.

--
Jun Shen PhD
PK/PD Scientist