Say I have the following dataset:

> DF
        x     y     z
[1]   1     1     1
[2]   2     2     2
[3]   3     3    NA
[4]   4   NA   4
[5]  NA  5     5

And I want to omit all the rows which have NA, but only in columns X and Y, so
that I get:

 x  y  z
1  1  1
2  2  2
3  3  NA

If I use na.omit(DF), I would delete the row for which z=NA, obtaining thus

x y z
1 1 1
2 2 2

But this is not what I want, of course.
If I use na.omit(DF[,1:2]), then I obtain

x y
1 1
2 2
3 3

which is OK for x and y columns, but I wouldn't get the corresponding values
for z (ie 1 2 NA)

Any suggestions about how to obtain the desired results efficiently (the actual
dataset has millions of records and almost 50 columns, and I would apply the
procedure on 12 of these columns)?

Sincerely,

Jose Luis

Jose Luis Iparraguirre
Senior Research Economist
Economic Research Institute of Northern Ireland