On 4/3/2009 2:33 PM, Andrew Conway wrote:
I am trying to check for backslashes in data, then remove them when I find them, but am having a difficult time figuring out the best way to do it. I know the backslash is the escape character in R, and I should be able to use 'gsub' to accomplish this, but I all I seem to be getting are errors. For example:

If entry is:
"Hello\World"

I want:
"HelloWorld"

There are several entries with backslashes, and I need to find them and delete them. All help is welcome, thank you.

This gets a little confusing because print() automatically doubles backslashes. To see what's really going on, you need to use cat. Then the following can be seen to work:

input <- "\"Hello\\World\""
cat(input, "\n")
output <- gsub("\\\\", "", input)
cat(output, "\n")

Duncan Murdoch

Drew Conway
Ph.D. Student
Department of Politics, New York University
agc...@nyu.edu
http://homepages.nyu.edu/~agc282