On 8/04/2009, at 1:26 AM, jjh21 wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to simulate binary outcome data for a logistic regression Monte Carlo study. I need to eventually be able to manipulate the structure of the error term to give groups of observations a random effect. Right now I am just doing a very basic set up to make sure I can recover the parameters properly. I am running into trouble with the code below. It works if you take out the object 'epsilon,' but I need that object because it is where I
plan to add in the random effects eventually. Any suggestions? Thanks.

        Well, it's the epsilon term that's doing you in.  The model
        that you are fitting takes no cognizance of this random effect.
        You can *probably* fit a model which does take cognizance of it
        using one of the variants of glm() (available in R) which include
        random effects, but don't ask me how!

        I don't know if it is possible to work out analytically what the
        bias should be if the epsilon term is ignored when fitting the
        model, but it might be.  Or an approximation might be achieved.

        Good luck.

                cheers,

                        Rolf Turner

set.seed(1)
alpha <- numeric(100) # Vector to store coefficient estimates
X1 <- numeric(100)
X2 <- numeric(100)

a <- 0 # True parameters
B1 <- .5
B2 <- .85

for (i in 1:100){
 x1 <- rnorm(1000)
 x2 <- rnorm(1000)
 epsilon <- rnorm(1000)

 LP <- a + B1*x1 + B2*x2 + epsilon # Linear predictor
 y <- rbinom(length(LP), 1, plogis(LP)) # Binomial link

 model <- glm(y ~ x1 + x2, family = binomial)
 alpha[i] <- coef(model)[1]
 X1[i] <- coef(model)[2]
 X2[i] <- coef(model)[3]
}

mean(X1) # Shows a bias downward (should be about .5)
mean(X2) # Shows a bias downward (should be about .85)
mean(alpha) # Pretty close (should be about 0)