This sounds very similar to what I've been working on, but I'm not sure
without an example.

My solution has been to use an optimization that normalizes inside the
objective function.  The betas that are provided by optim are not
normalized, however since they were normalized inside the objective
function, normalizing them after the fact mirrors the internal workings of
the objective function.

see this example:
http://markmail.org/message/ze5237m6gbgvvvyf

Still, after looking at several statistical packages, and considering the
thoughtful responses from my post, I think that there must be a better way
using existing models, so I've been looking at other packages / models.