Brendan,

Matrix is atomic. Once you define t1 in matrix, t1[1]=0  rather than the
whole column. I would just convert t1 to a data frame, which is a special
list, by adding t1<- data.frame(t1).  Now t1[1] represents the whole column.
Then you can use your loop to add more columns.

Jun

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Brendan Morse <morse.bren...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am trying to accomplish a small task that is giving me quite
> a headache. I would like to automatically generate a series of matrices and
> give them successive names. Here is what I thought at first:
>
> t1<-matrix(0, nrow=250, ncol=1)
>
> for(i in 1:10){
>        t1[i]<-rnorm(250)
> }
>
> What I intended was that the loop would create 10 different matrices with a
> single column of 250 values randomly selected from a normal distribution,
> and that they would be labeled t11, t12, t13, t14 etc.
>
> Can anyone steer me in the right direction with this one?
>
> Thanks!
> Brendan

Jun Shen PhD
PK/PD Scientist