Just a guess: We had an issues with malformed PACKAGES files in the Windows repositories.

Maybe you are affected here.
Can you please try in 24 hours from now to do that again using the mirror in Austria.

If the problem persists, please let me know.

Thank you,
Uwe Ligges

peter_kel...@fws.gov wrote:

I installed R-2.9.0 yesterday, and followed the instructions in the R for
Windows FAQ, 2.8 What's the best way to upgrade?  It reads "run
update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE) in the new R and then delete
anything left of the old installation."  I did this but it returned an
error.  It's the checkBuilt=TRUE which causes it, though I don't know why:
leaving it out or changing it to checkBuilt=FALSE do not return errors.

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
Error: invalid version specification NA

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE)
Error: invalid version specification NA

Peter Keller