Caroline Wallis wrote:
Hi,
I'm using e1071 package to do fuzzy cluster analysis. My dataset (ra) has
5237 observations and 2 variables - depth and velocity. I used fuzzy cmeans
to create 6 fuzzy classes.
ra.flcust6<-cmeans(ra,6,iter.max=100,verbose=F,dist="euclidean",method="cmea
ns",m=1.7,rate.par=NULL,weights=1)

I would like to calculate the value of all the fuzzy validity measures using
the flcustIndex function. However it returned the following error:

fclustIndex(ra.flcust6,ra,index="all")
Error in solve.default(scatter[, , i]) : Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular

Please could anyone explain what this means and what I have done wrong?

Well, it tells you that the matrix is exatcly singular. At first I'd check your data if this is plausible.

Uwe Ligges

thanks

Caroline Wallis