Hello R-Users,

I have one binary dependent variable and a set of independent variables
(glm(formula,…,family=”binomial”) ) and I am using the function stepAIC
(“MASS”) for choosing an optimal model. However I am not sure if stepAIC
considers significance properties like Likelihood ratio test and Wald test (see
example below).

> y <- rbinom(30,1,0.4)
> x1 <- rnorm(30)
> x2 <- rnorm(30)
> x3 <- rnorm(30)
> xdata <- data.frame(x1,x2,x3)
>
> fit1 <- glm(y~ . ,family="binomial",data=xdata)
> stepAIC(fit1,trace=FALSE)

Call:  glm(formula = y ~ x3, family = "binomial", data = xdata)

Coefficients:
(Intercept)           x3
    -0.3556       0.8404

Degrees of Freedom: 29 Total (i.e. Null);  28 Residual
Null Deviance:      40.38
Residual Deviance: 37.86        AIC: 41.86

> fit <- glm( stepAIC(fit1,trace=FALSE)$formula  ,family="binomial")
> my.summ <- summary(fit)
> # Wald Test
> print(my.summ$coeff[,4])
(Intercept)          x3
  0.3609638   0.1395215

> my.anova <- anova(fit,test="Chisq")
> #LR Test
> print(my.anova$P[2])
[1] 0.1121783

Is there an alternative function or a possible way of checking if the added
variable and the new model are significant within the regression steps?

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards

Peter-Heinz Fox