At 9:25 PM +1000 5/11/09, Jim Lemon wrote:
>Hi Phillip,
>I'm not exactly sure how you are positioning the labels. Is it
>possible to give us an example with some data that will produce a
>plot to show what you want? It shouldn't be too hard to do.
>
>Jim

Data is something along the lines of:

variable                score
Real Bad Stuff  0
        Real    23
        Bad     14
        Stuff   17
Other Crazy Things      0
        Other   18
        Crazy   43
        Things  13

The basic plot looks like this:

barplot(score, horiz=TRUE, axes=FALSE, las=2, space=1,
names.arg=c("Real Bad Stuff", "Real","Bad","Stuff","Other Crazy
Things","Other","Crazy","Things"))

I've been trying make it look the way I want it by doing this:

barplot(score, horiz=TRUE, axes=FALSE, las=1, space=1,
names.arg=c("", "Real","Bad","Stuff","","Other","Crazy","Things"),
cex.names=.5)
mtext(c("Real Bad Stuff","Other Crazy Things"),at=c(8,15.6),side=2,
line=1.5,adj=1, las=1, cex=.5, font=2)

The mtext is annoying to line up with the actual plot.  If there was
a way to get it to line up with the variables that would solve my
problems, but I've tried at=variable and at=score (putting in "" for
all of the variable names I don't want bolded and left justified) and
neither way gets them to line up.

Thanks,
Phillip