Afternoon everyone,

I've spent the last week or so looking at all the experimental design
packages I can find in R. AlgDesign, design.conf and BHH2 being the best one
I could find.

Unfortunately none of these do a particularly good job for complex designs,
in particular for conjoint or discrete choice. (or perhaps they do, and I
can't make them work correctly)

Specifically, the problem is that none of them optimise the design for main
effects or 2-way effects balance. So although the 'd-efficiency' is
optimised some 2 way interactions are not present in the design (thereby
preventing the interaction from being modelled). And the main effects
balance is also quite bad, some levels being seen twice as often as
others!!!!

So I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in using R for
complex design issues, and if so if they could point me in the direction of
some good packages? Or maybe help me out with my 'balance' problem?

Thanks for your help

PS: And if all else fails I'm thinking about trying to extend AlgDesign to
incorporate balance as a criteria when searching for designs. So just
wondering if there's anyone out there keen to help me (even if its just
testing out my beta versions)

Chris Howden

Marketing Scientist

For all your Analysis, Modelling, Experimental Design and Training needs

(mobile) 0410 689 945

(fax / office) (+618) 8952 7878

tall.chr...@yahoo.com.au