I posed this question imprecisely earlier and did not specify that the
pairing needs to be one-to-one.  A precise version of the question
follows:

Given two numeric vectors of possibly unequal length, I'd like to pair
each element of the shorter vector with an element of the longer
vector in a one-to-one relationship such that the sum of squared
differences between the pairs is minimized.  Can someone point me to
an R function or an algorithm for accomplishing this?

Many thanks to David Winsemius and Andy Liaw who replied with
solutions to the problem where the pairing does not have to be one-to-
one.

Tom

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
Phone: (808) 529-0866 Fax: (808) 529-0884
http://www.tsdye.com