hi

I've used R for many years on windows machines, but
have now acquired an Asus eee 1000 linux machine.

In order to get the best out of the machine, I used the
'pimpmyeee.sh' script, to get the full KDE desktop.

The version of Linux is Xandros, which I believe is
a close relative of Debian, but sadly I have only a
nodding acquaintance with Linux at present.

Naturally I want to have the current version of R on it,
and I understand (or possibly misunderstand) that the
binary for the Debian flavour of Linux should do the trick.

I have tried -

1. using synaptic to add the appropriate (I think) CRAN
    repository  ... but every combination I have tried
    gives a 404 error

2. downloading from CRAN what I think is a zipped-up version of
    r-base software, and thewn using the eee's file-manager
    'install DEB package' option ... but this returns 'cannot load ... '.

I'm a bit stuck ... can anyone help please ?

        thanks          Bob Kinley