The 'ties.method' argument to 'rank' is the *third* positional argument to
'rank', so either you need to put it in the third position or you need to
use a named argument.

The fact that the variable you're using to represent ties.method is called
ties.method is irrelevant.  That is, this:

      rank(x,ties.method)

is equivalent to

     rank(x, na.last = ties.method)

which is not what you want.