On Jun 10, 2009, at 1:28 PM, Eric Vander Wal wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I have a vector of numbers which contain sections that are sequences which increase by a value of 1 followed by a gap in the data and then another sequence occurs, etc:

x<-c(1:3, 6: 7, 10:13)

From the vector I need to extract 2 items of information A) the first number in the sequence (e.g., 1, 6, 10) and B) how many observations were in each sequence section (e.g., 3, 2, 4).

v1   v2
1      3
6      2
10    4

It seems simple, but my R skills are still in their infancy so I very much appreciate the help.
Eric

Yet another solution:

> x[which(c(-Inf, diff(x)) != 1)]
[1]  1  6 10

> diff(c(which(c(-Inf, diff(x)) != 1), length(x)+1) )
[1] 3 2 4

--

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories