In order to run some performance tests on optimization tools, I want to be able to avoid the use of swap memory. In *nix systems, at least Linux ones, I can issue a 'sudo swapoff -a' command and use just the RAM available. If I don't do this, at some point swap will be used, the disk goes ballistic and the machine is unresponsive because it is thrashing data to the swap. I suspect others have encountered this too. Clearly I'd rather fail out than get into the thrashing situation. Generally I prefer no swap -- memory is cheap enough that it is easier not to worry about these sorts of woes. However, I'd like to make packages I'm developing bullet-proof.

What I need to know is if there are similar facilities on other platforms and how to use them. I see memory.size and memory.limit for Windows -- making R less platform independent -- and they seem to work on a WinXP virtual machine I have available. However, I suspect that the memory.limit includes the swap. When I was running Windoze, I tried valiantly to get the PageFile.sys killed and found it kept being set up again despite following all the recommended steps. (I needed to avoid the plaintext of an encrypted file being "saved" for me!) I know nothing about Mac
swap and how to control it.

Advice welcome.  Below is a crude but self-contained example.

John Nash

## memcrash.R -- try to hit the wall with memory

cat("memcrash.R -- try to hit the wall\n")
cat("You should have swap turned off\n")
temp<-readline("Do you?")
if (temp != "y") stop("Fix swap")

for (j in 1:10) {
  n <- 5^j