On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendi...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Rainer M Krug<r.m.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > imagine the following situation:
> >
> > a <- runif(100)
> > plot(a[a>0.5])
> >
> > plots only the elements in the vector which are larger then 0.5
> >
> > Now imagine a matrix:
> >
> > b <- matrix(runif(20000), ncol=40, nrow=50)
> > image(b[b>0.5])
> > Error in image.default(b[b > 0.5]) : argument must be matrix-like
> >
> > Is there a similar way then above to plot an image from the matrix with
> only
> > the elements larger then 0.5, and the remaining elements equals NA?
> >
> > I know I could do something like
> >
> > image(b, zlim=c(0.5, 1))
> > but this includes 0.5 in the image,
> >
> > bb <- b
> > bb[bb<=0.5] <- NA
> > image(bb)
> >
> > but this includes an additional assignment.
>
> Although this does involve an assignment underneath
> as well perhaps its sufficient for your purposes:
>
> image(replace(b, b <= 0.5, NA))

Yes - thanks. I always forget about replace().
The result would work, but the principle is different to the indexing for
vectors.
But as I am expecting something different then in vector indexing (same
dimension), I think the replace() is the best way to go.

--
Rainer M. Krug, Centre of Excellence for Invasion Biology, Stellenbosch
University, South Africa