I have a several character variables that I need to recode, but some of them
have special characters like single quote or ( ). How tell R to ignore these
special characters so I can rename them? Below is the error message I am
getting.

social$FamilySupport[social$FamilySupport=="Mr. XXXs' extended family live in
the Nashville area where he and his wife reside."]<-"Highly Supportive"
Warning in `[<-.factor`(`*tmp*`, social$FamilySupport == "Mr. XXXs' extended
family live in the Nashville area where he and his wife reside.",  :
  invalid factor level, NAs generated

Chris Anderson
707.315.8486
www.sassydeals4u.com