If you want a quick overview of a package (not just the name of the objects), you can also do:

> library(help = zoo)

Duncan Murdoch wrote:
On 7/3/2009 1:21 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
Hi,
   Two easy questions I'm sure.

1) As an example if I use the code

require(zoo)

then once it's loaded is there a command that lists everything that
zoo provides so that I can study the package?

ls("package:zoo") will list all the exported items in zoo, provided it is attached. You can abbreviate that to the number in the search list, which is usually 2 immediately after you attach the package. So

require(zoo)
ls(2)

will probably do what you want.  Use search() to see the search list.

Duncan Murdoch

   Certainly help(zoo) gives me some clues about what zoo does but I'd
like a list. Maybe there's a way to query something but in Rgui under
Win Vista ls() returns nothing after zoo is loaded.

2) Related to the above, how do I tell what packages are currently
loaded at any given time so that I don't waste time loading things
that are already loaded? search() tells me what's available, but
what's loaded? The best I can find so far goes like this:

a<-.packages(all.available = FALSE)
[1] "zoo" "stats" "graphics" "grDevices" "utils" "datasets"
[7] "methods"   "base"

Maybe that's as good as it gets in code and if I want better then I
write a function?

Thanks,
Mark