Hi!  I'm trying to learn about object oriented R, as it seems like it
would be very useful.

I'm going over an example from the documentation, and I'm very confused:

http://www1.maths.lth.se/help/R/R.oo/

[assume you've called library (R.oo)]

setConstructorS3("SavingsAccount", function(balance=0) {
   if (!is.numeric(balance) && length(balance) != 1)
     throw("Argument 'balance' must be a single numeric value: ",
mode(balance));
   if (balance < 0)
     throw("Trying to create an account with a negative balance.");

   extend(Object(), "SavingsAccount",
     .balance = balance
   );
})

Why would I get the following result?

 > SavingsAccount(5)
[1] "SavingsAccount: 0x18706032"
 > SavingsAccount("fruit")
[1] "SavingsAccount: 0x605387128"

The second time, the input should fail, balance is not numeric.

------------------------------

A second attempt, with my own code:

setConstructorS3("StreamingFileReader", function(fileName,
hasHeader=T, sep="\t") {
        if (missing (fileName)) throw ("Must supply a file name!");
        if (missing(hasHeader)) hasHeader <-T;
        if (missing(sep)) sep="\t";

        extend(Object(), "StreamingFileReader",
        .fileName=fileName,
        .hasHeader=hasHeader,
        .sep=sep);
})

 > z= StreamingFileReader("temp")
Error in list(`StreamingFileReader("temp")` = <environment>,
`extend(Object(), "StreamingFileReader", .fileName =
fileName, .hasHeader = hasHeader, .sep = sep)` = <environment>,  :

[2009-07-17 17:37:15] Exception: Must supply a file name!
   at throw(Exception(...))
   at throw.default("Must supply a file name!")
   at throw("Must supply a file name!")
   at constructor()
   at getStaticInstance.Class(class)
   at getStaticInstance(class)
   at getStaticInstance.Object(this)
   at getStaticInstance(this)
   at extend.Object(Object(), "StreamingFileReader", .fileName =
fileName, .hasHeader = hasHeader, .sep =
   at extend(Object(), "StreamingFileReader", .fileName =
fileName, .hasHeader = hasHeader, .sep = sep)
   at StreamingFileReader("temp")
 > z= StreamingFileReader("temp")
 > z$.fileName
[1] "temp"

Why is it that the first time I try to construct the object it fails,
and the second time it seems to work just fine?  Is there something I
should be doing between declaring the constructor and using the object
(besides adding S3 methods?)

Thanks for any help, I find this entirely confusing.

-Jim Nemesh