Leslie J Seltzer wrote:

Greetings

I have a very simple question that I have not been able to solve by reading the
manual. When I produce a stripchart with two straight columns of dots
representing individual observations, one representing one group of subjects
and the other representing another, the columns wind up at the far left and far
right sides of the plot, and I'd like them to be closer together, about as far
apart as they'd be if I used the boxplot function. I would also like to add a
short horizontal line where the mean is for each of the columns, so that my
readers can see the results of my significant t test graphically.

Any assistance in moving my columns together and adding just a short horizontal
line for the mean of each would be great.

See the arguments "at", "offset" and the possible arguments "xlim" or "ylim".

I'd suggest you control the height/width by xlim/ylim and position the columns/rows by specifying specific "at" values.

You can use lines() to add lines into certain positions of your plot.

Uwe Ligges

Sincerely,

Dr. Leslie J. Seltzer
University of Wisconsin-Madison