The error you are getting is from the bash shell.  Are you trying to run the
command from the shell, or from inside R?  You need to start R and then run
install.packages('mvtnorm') from the R terminal.  You still may have permission
problems, and I think you will need to have installed and have access to the
appropriate tools for building packages.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

Daniel J. Nordlund
Planning, Performance, and Accountability
Research and Data Analysis Division
Olympia, WA  98504-5204