On Jul 31, 2009, at 2:35 PM, Laura S. wrote:

I am relatively new to R, and would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

I noticed on a Mac the functions' arguments are listed at the bottom of the R console.

Is it possible to add such a feature to a Windows R console? I have Windows XP if that helps.

I know function arguments can be found using args(...), but I was wanting to have something more automatic, like what I saw on the Mac computer.

I went into GUI preferences, but was not sure what to do. I noticed for graphics, the playwith package can be used....I was wondering if there was something similar to this for the arguments of functions in R.

I believe the feature to which you are referring is the one called "function hints". This is a fairly recent answer to this question from a source that is generally authoritative:

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/Rhelp08/2009-July/203189.html

The follow-up exchange also appears worth reading for Windows users.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT