On Aug 4, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Rnewbie wrote:

dear all,

I got a problem with pattern matching using grep. I extracted a list of characters from a data frame, and I tried to match this list of characters to a column from another data frame. In return, I got only one match, but
there should be far more matches. Any ideas what has gone wrong?

In general this falls into the category of a request to "read my mind". One, out of probably an infinite number, of ways to get such a result is to use if() when you needed ifelse().

Another question, if I also want to match the whole of the elements against the non-initial parts of the elements in another table. Which command should
I use?

Cannot even assign a semantic meaning to that one. What is are "non- initial parts of the elements of another table"?

 .... provide commented, minimal, self-contained, reproducible code.

Thanks

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT