Donald Catanzaro, PhD wrote:
Hi All,

I am working on some ordinal logistic regresssions using LRM in the Design package. My response variable has three categories (1,2,3) and after using the creating my model and using a call to predict some values and I wanted to use a simple .5 cut-off to classify my probabilities into the categories.

I had two questions:

a) first, I am having trouble directly accessing the probabilities which may have more to do with my lack of experience with R

For instance, my calls

>ologit.three.NoPerFor <- lrm(Threshold.Three ~ TECI , data=CLD, na.action=na.pass) >CLD$Threshold.Predict.Three.NoPerFor<- predict(ologit.three.NoPerFor, newdata=CLD, type="fitted.ind") >CLD$Threshold.Predict.Three.NoPerFor.Cats[CLD$Threshold.Predict.Three.NoPerFor.Threshold.Three=1 > .5] <- 1 Error: unexpected '=' in "CLD$Threshold.Predict.Three.NoPerFor.Cats[CLD$Threshold.Predict.Three.NoPerFor.Threshold.Three="

produce an error message and it seems as R does not like the equal sign at all. So how does one access the probabilities so I can classify them into the categories of 1,2,3 so I can look at performance of my model ?

use == to check equality

b) which leads me to my next question. I thought that simply calculating the percent correct off of my predictions would be sufficient to look at performance but since my question is very much in line with this thread http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e4/help/08/04/8987.html I am not so sure anymore. I am afraid I did not understand Frank Harrell's last suggestion regarding improper scoring rule - can someone point me to some internet resources that I might be able to review to see why my approach would not be valid ?

Percent correct will give you misleading answers and is game-able. It is also ultra-high-variance. Though not a truly proper scoring rule, Somers' Dxy rank correlation (generalization of ROC area) is helpful. Better still: use the log-likelihood and related quantities (deviance, adequacy index as described in my book).

Frank