Hi Sarah,
expression works well, but you have to use it as function.

plot(1,ylab=expression("Soil moisture content "~~bgroup("(",m^3*m^{-3},")")))

see
?plotmath
for further examples

hth.

Buckmaster, Sarah schrieb:
Hi All,

I am trying to lable the y-axis on my scatterplot with the following:
"Soil moisture content (m3m-3)"

I am using the following coding for plotting the graph:
plot(soilmoisture~gradientlevel, xlab="Levels of droughting gradient", ylab="Soil moisture content (m3m-3)",
bty="l", font.main="2", pch=16, las=1, cex.lab="1.13")

I have tried to incorporate 'expression' into this coding for the ylab as
follows (with also a few variations):
plot(soilmoisture~gradientlevel, xlab="Levels of droughting gradient", ylab=expression"Soil moisture content
(m^3m^-3)", bty="l", font.main="2", pch=16, las=1, cex.lab="1.13")

...but this isn't working and the second m never seems to come up wth
superscript 3 after it. I'm guessing I have tried to incorporate 'expression'
too simply!

Would someone please advise me as to the coding for this?

Many thanks

Sarah

Eik Vettorazzi
Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Epidemiologie
Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf

Martinistr. 52
20246 Hamburg

T ++49/40/7410-58243
F ++49/40/7410-57790

--
Pflichtangaben gemäß Gesetz über elektronische Handelsregister und
Genossenschaftsregister sowie das Unternehmensregister (EHUG):

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf
Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts
Gerichtsstand: Hamburg

Vorstandsmitglieder:
Prof. Dr. Jörg F. Debatin (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Alexander Kirstein
Ricarda Klein
Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus