From: r-help-boun...@r-project.org [mailto:r-help-boun...@r-project.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew C
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:44 AM
To: r-help@r-project.org
Subject: [R] R numeric string problem

Hi,

I have a text (.dat) file, in which each row contains several long numeric
strings.  One of the strings is 38 digits long, for example:

03200801200801172008011720092904008901

When I read in the data file, this string shows up as 3.200801e+36.  To get
rid of the scientific notation, I used "options(scipen=999)."  When I did
this, the scientific notation went away, but the numeric string was
incorrect.  It showed as:

3200801200801172223262666846080882062

Why would the number be incorrect?  All of the other strings within this row
are correct.

Thanks,

Andrew