Your code is not reproducible, we do not have rfc, y, zVals nor NoCols.
It's much easier to reproduce: just type in the first example from the "image" help page
   x <- y <- seq(-4*pi, 4*pi, len=27)
   r <- sqrt(outer(x^2, y^2, "+"))
   image(z = z <- cos(r^2)*exp(-r/6), col=gray((0:32)/32))
then save from the quartz() display

Well, not possible for me on Windows .....

Anyway, please use the pdf() device directly and see if it works:

Works just as well as dev.copy2pdf() ... it really appears to be a bug in the Quartz framework.

Unfortunately, I don't know why the OP doesn't just use the pdf() device.

(I used the menu) and view with Adobe Reader 9 (I seem to have 9.0.0).

You should upgrade (even just for security reasons and many bugfixes), 9.1.3 is recent on Windows.

The newest I could get from Adobe is 9.1.0. Strangely enough, even though I have configured it to check for updates on startup, Adobe Reader never suggested to me that an update may be available.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Cheers,
Stefan