subset(data1,cast==33&(depth %in% c(1,20,100))

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 5, 2009, at 11:58, John Casey <johnrca...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello all,
I am new to R but have some experience with MATLAB and am trying to make the switch. I generally find the two languages easy to adapt but there are a few routine tasks which I would like to run smoother in R and I am having trouble finding a help resource. Could someone suggest a guide to filtering, selecting, sorting, and processing biological matrix data? Here is a rudimentary example of what I'm after [ocean research cruise- data.frame<-example]:

Cruise, dec yr, station, cast, depth, data1
1, 2007.65, 9, 29, 1, 105.04
1, 2007.65, 9, 29, 10, 104.91
1, 2007.65, 9, 29, 20, 101.43
1, 2007.65, 9, 29, 50, 100.68
1, 2007.65, 9, 29, 100, 100.09
1, 2007.69, 11, 33, 1, 107.32
1, 2007.69, 11, 33, 10, 105.94
1, 2007.69, 11, 33, 20, 102.19
1, 2007.69, 11, 33, 50, 101.27
1, 2007.69, 11, 33, 100, 100.15

Let's say I would like to select data1 from cast 33 at 1, 20, and 100m depth... how would I go about this?

Thanks in advance for helping out a greenhorn!
John