Hi,

It's not enough to create a string with your instructions, it also needs to
be evaluated as such.
If you really wanted to evaluate your string, you'd need something like,

a <- b <- cc <- 1 # dummy example
eval(parse(text = "cbind(a, b, cc)"))

#library(fortunes)
#fortune("parse")

but fortune-ately, you probably oughtn't do that. Instead, I think you could
use this example,

d = data.frame(a1=1:10, b1=sin(1:10), c1 = cos(1:10)) # some data.frame

variables = paste(letters[1:3],"1",sep="") # its variable names
(alternatively, names(d) would do)

ICC = function(x) x  # your function

ICC(d[ variables[ c(1, 3) ] ]) # apply the function to a subset of the data,
by selecting the required columns

(If I understood correctly your question)

HTH,

baptiste

Baptiste AuguiƩ

School of Physics