Dear John,

I did just try to do that, and it is still returning the same error when I try to attach the csv file..

vc1<-read.table("P:\\R\\Everything-I.csv",header=T, sep=" ", dec=".",
na.strings=NA, strip.white=T)
attach(vc1)
Error in attach(vc1) : variable names are limited to 256 bytes

Each variable name is only 5 to 6 characters long, but I'm sure you're right about R reading the entire header line as one variable.
I cannot figure out though, how to stop it from doing so.

sep=" ", or sep="," do not seem to work either, though I don't know if it is the right thing to be trying.