Dear list,

would anybody be able to tell me why the statement

Tripstatistics=aggregate(TripsData[2:3],by=list(Trip=Tripmatch),FUN="mean")

seems to work well with TripsData 1 but not with TripsData 2 ?

With TripsData 2 it yields

Error in FUN(X[[1L]], ...) : arguments must have same length

I can't see a difference in the two data sets. Could someone shed light on the
error message ? Maybe that would help me figure out where the problem is.

Thanks very much for any help.

Juliane

PS: The examples below contain the  first 5 rows  of my two datafiles.

TripsData 1

           Trip Distance TimeDiff Tripmatch
7329 35,36 172.7453   0.0041     35,36
7371 36,35 172.7453   0.0004     35,36