it may be worth it writing a script to transpose the data (in awk, it takes 10min on my laptop)... then read in the transposed data...

> system.time({x <- read.delim("testTransposed.txt", header=F, colClasses="numeric", nrow=700000); x <- t(x)})
   user  system elapsed
  4.958   0.412   5.477

On Sep 25, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Ping-Hsun Hsieh wrote:

Thanks, Ben.

The matrix is a pure numeric matrix (6x700000, 31mb).
I tried the colClasses='numeric' as well as nrows=7(one of these is header line) on the matrix.
Also I tested it with not setting the two options in read.delim()

Here is the time spent on reading the matrix for each test.

system.time( tmp <- read.delim("test_data.txt"))
    user    system   elapsed
50985.421    27.665 51013.384

system.time(tmp <- read .delim("test_data.txt",colClasses="numeric",nrows=7,comment.char=""))
    user    system   elapsed
51301.563    60.491 51362.208

It seems setting the options does not speed up the reading at all.
Is it because of the header line? I will test it.
Did I misunderstand something?

One additional and interesting observation:
The one with the options does save memory a lot. It took ~150mb, while the other took ~4GB for reading the matrix.

I will try the scan() and see if it helps.

Thanks!
Mike