On Oct 3, 2009, at 11:54 AM, Chen Gu wrote:

Hello,

I am doing a simple if else statement in R. But it always comes out error
such as 'unexpected error'
There are two variables. ini and b. when ini=1, a=3; when ini>1 and b>2,
a=5; all other situations, a=6. I don't know where it is wrong.
Here is my code

ini=3
b=4
Your basic problem is that you are confusing if and else which are program control functions with ifelse which is designed for assignment purposes;

> ini=3
> b=4
>   a <-   ifelse( ini==1, 3, ifelse( ini>1 & b>2 , 5, 6))

[1] 5

    if (ini==1) {
 a=3
    }
   else if (ini>1 and b>2 ) {
The error is probably being thrown because "and" is not a valid conjunction operator in R.
> 1 and 1
Error: syntax error
> 1 & 1
[1] TRUE