I am trying do to a PCA analysis using princomp. I get a result, but I
wonder if I have the data in the correct format.
My data contains many stations where fish were sampled as well as
environmental information for each station (lat, lon, depth, temp and year).
the format is like this:
species 1| species 2 | species 3|.......|lat | lon | depth | temp| year
1                      3            132              42   70   200
2      1988
4                      34          0                  43   54   400        1
     1988
200                  65          4                  42   70   200
2      1989
1                      3            23                43   54   400        0
     1989

with nearly 14,000 stations, each in its own row.

the result of running princomp(data,cor=T) is just a mess. How do I 'tell' r
what columns are species and what are environmental factors?