zhijie zhang wrote:
  Thanks for your ideas and suggestions. I need to point out that most of us
will create the Clustered-Stacked Column Chart in the matrix layout as David
gave above, but here i hope to display the graph side by side as the example
in the link http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html,
which may be not a good method to display the information.
   Actually, i browsed the lattice package and re-run the examples in its
help before posting this question. As John said above, "I don't think I've
seen an R version, probably because the technique is not very good for
displaying data.".
  Following Peter's suggestion, i browsed the layout= argument in the link
http://www.stat.ucl.ac.be/ISdidactique/Rhelp/library/lattice/html/xyplot.html
and
tried it, but cannot successfully get the correct graph.

library(lattice)
barchart(Titanic, scales = list(x = "free"),auto.key = list(title =
"Survived"))
barchart(Titanic, scales = list(x = "free"),auto.key = list(title =
"Survived"),layout=c(2,1))  #missed the children's graph
barchart(Titanic, scales = list(x = "free"),auto.key = list(title =
"Survived"),layout=c(1,2))  #missed the children's graph
  Thanks a lot.

Didn't miss anything. It just produced two pages. Try it with plot
recording turned on.

This should be close to what you want:

  barchart(Titanic, scales = list(x = "free"),
    layout = c(4,1),
    horizontal = FALSE,
    auto.key = list(title = "Survived"))

 -Peter Ehlers