Sean Carmody wrote:
Thanks very much John, that works. I had tried using las=1 inside the
dotchart function itself, but it seems to be one of those occasions where
the par parameter is over-ridden by the main plotting function. You can see
the results here: http://www.stubbornmule.net/2009/10/asylum-seekers/
Now if only I can nudge the labels a little further to the right...
Regards,
Sean.

Try the axis() call with arguments tick=FALSE and line=-0.5 or
whatever nudge value you like.

 -Peter Ehlers