Nice solution, Bill.

-Peter Ehlers

William Dunlap wrote:
From: r-help-boun...@r-project.org [mailto:r-help-boun...@r-project.org] On Behalf Of Peter Ehlers
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:48 AM
To: Ashta
Cc: R help
Subject: Re: [R] Counting

How about

  unch <- aggregate(x2==x1, by = list(x1=x1), FUN = sum)
  chgd <- aggregate(x2!=x1, by = list(x1=x1), FUN = sum)

  -Peter Ehlers

When I hear 'count' I think first of the table() function.
E.g.,
   > d<-data.frame(x1=c(1,1,0,0,0,1,0), x2=c(1,0,1,1,0,1,1))
   > with(d, table(x1, x1==x2))
x1 FALSE TRUE
     0     3    1
     1     1    2
or
   > with(d, table(x1, factor(x1==x2,labels=c("Changed","Unchanged"))))
x1 Changed Unchanged
     0       3         1
     1       1         2
or use dimnames<- to change the labels on the table itself.

Bill Dunlap
Spotfire, TIBCO Software
wdunlap tibco.com
Ashta wrote:
Hi All,

Assume that I have the following data set  with two variables and I
want count the number of observation with identical values
and number
of time each factor changed from x1 to x2.

x1  x2
 1    1
 1    0
 0    1