On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:08 PM, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net>wrote:

> On Oct 28, 2009, at 12:21 PM, Val wrote:
>

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:59 AM, David Winsemius
> <dwinsem...@comcast.net>wrote:
>

>> On Oct 28, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Val wrote:
>>
>>  Val, please take it slow, you are missing basic stuff here.

>>> *   Yes I looked at it and it only shows type.  To check I downloaded
>>> another script with   R extension "test.R" and the type column shows the
>>> exact extension(i.e., test.R).
>>> *

>>> *
>>> *Why I  can not open with this command?*
>>>
>>> Rossi <- read.table("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My
>>> Documents/R_data/prd/Rossi.dat",header=T)
>>>
>>> *David,
>>> *You suggested to use ,
>>>
>>> Rossi <- read.table(paste("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My
>>> Documents/R_data/prd", "Rossi.dat", sep="/"), header=T)
>>>
>>> This is not working as well  I got the same error message.
>>>

>> H0: there is no file by that name in that directory.
>> HA: (or Windows and the email process is mucking up the spaces in the
>> path). I do not "see" a space between "My" and "Documents" in the email
>> representation.
>>
>>  I originally asked and you never answered...HOW did your save "Rossi" or
>> "Rossi.dat"? Code and output ... we want all your code and console output!
>>
>> *Sorry for that and this is the code that was saved as "Ross.R". *
>

> This? What was "this"? In my opinion, indefinite pronouns should be banned
> from discourse when discussing computer programs.
>
> *Now I manged to save it as *.R.
> By default when I clicked file  -->  save as  --->  the window  asks file
> name and  shows save as type -->   R files(*.R) file type.  In my case I was
> typing  only the file name " Ross" without the extension assuming that the
> window will append the extension since it asked me R files(*.R). I thought
> it is just like the other windows program like Word or Excel.  Now I have
> to  type the full file name Ross.R.
>
> *
>

> There still appears to be confusion about data files and scripts. Do you
> have both?
>
> I was asking about the file that you were hoping to read with the
> read.table command. Please stop referring to creation of scripts. The
> read.table command is not to be used for accessing scripts. Only source()
> would be so used
>
> Again. Please produce the original code you used to create the file which
> you are hoping to access using read.table.
>

> *The script file name is Ross.R
> *
>

> Which is of no interest to us unless you named a data file incorrectly. We
> still would need to know HOW it was created. What were  the commands? What
> was in it?
>

> David,

*Yes You are right!  I used note pad  to create the data  and when I added *
*.txt**  in the file name then it worked.  Sorry for the confusion*

Rossi <- read.table(paste("C:/Documents and Settings/Val/My
Documents/R_data/prd", "Rossi.dat*.txt*", sep="/"), header=T)

*
Thanks a lot for your patience

Val*

* *